Monday, November 28, 2011

You CAN run, if you want to.

I think that people don't give themselves enough credit. Don't let your weight (I was 40 lbs heavier when I started) stop you. Don't allow yourself to dwell in the world of CAN'T. Because the truth is, unless you have a medical condition, you CAN. But only if you want to.

Are you overweight and a bit of a slug? Have you become uncomfortable in your own skin? That's the point I'd reached after my third baby was born. I didn't recognize my own body when I saw it in a mirror. I didn't choose my outfits because they were cute, I choose them because they hid this and covered that. I wanted a change. I wanted my outside to match the tough, sexy chick I am on the inside.

I'd done Nutrisystem for a couple of months and yes, it certainly took a few pounds off. I started playing volleyball (my favorite, favorite sport) and it took off a couple more. But I needed to burn some serious calories. A girlfriend of mine had done the Couch to 5K program last summer, and did really well with it. I checked it out online and decided to give the treadmill version of it a try. Starting in April 2011, I worked my way through the program. I did it on my treadmill in the basement. I loaded a Couch to 5K app on my iPad that told me when to run and when to walk and I read books or watched movies while I did it. Some days I literally hung on to the bars and let the treadmill do all the work. Some days I let go of the bars and actually ran.

And so the weeks passed. I signed up for my first 5K at the end of August. When race day came, I'd only trained on a treadmill with one 2 mile run outside. My first race sucked. It was muggy and hot (August, duh!) and it took me a whopping 41 minutes to complete it. That first race also opened my eyes to how much fun racing could be, and how all types and ages of poeple ran. So I signed up for a September race and vowed to only run outside. My second race was around 36 minutes. I decided I liked how running made me feel. I liked feeling strong and capable. I liked the changes in my body. I even liked the cute running outfits! My third 5K came in at 34 minutes, and I set my sights on a November 10K. If you read this blog, you know how that turned out.

And now? I call myself a runner. I take pride in my accomplishments so far and believe I can acheive even more. Do I think I have what it takes to complete a half and even a full marathon? Why yes, I believe I do. I also love that my enthusiasm for running is catchy, that other women feel empowered to give it a shot themselves.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Don't let YOU tell you that you can't. Because the truth is, you can. You just have to want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment