Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Just a bit of background.

I'm a thirty-*ahem* something-year-old Mom of three. My last pregnancy left me 40 pounds overweight and too lazy to do anything about it. A year and a half passed where I literally didn't recognize my own body. As in "Who the hell does this ASS belong to? Because surely it isn't mine!!".

Last spring I got fed up. I could not stand the thought of another summer sweltering in jeans because I was too ashamed to wear shorts. Of staying in the boat instead of water skiing because I didn't have the endurance to do it, and I for sure wasn't taking my cover-up off.

So I tried Nutrisystem for three months, and it helped. To a point. Then someone mentioned the C25K program, and though I've hated running since my Marine Corps days, I figured what the hell and started running in my basement on the treadmill. I lost 20 in nine weeks just doing that. I also learned while I didn't like the feeling of running, I sure as hell liked the way I felt after I finished.

In late summer I signed up for my first 5K. It was great and awful at the same time. Great because I finished, awful because I finished in a slow-as-hell 41 minutes. I knew I needed to get off the treadmill and hit the road. Which I did, and finished my second 5K in 36 minutes.

Which brings us to today. My competitive juices are flowing. I'm running a 5K tomorrow and am hoping to get under 35 minutes. I'm considering a 10K in November and have begun to consider the idea of a spring half marathon. My friends are sick of hearing about running. I'm obsessed with the idea of getting faster and running farther. I feel strong again. I feel like me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment