Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sweethearts 4 Miler Race Report


This race was COLD. Stoopid cold. Cold enough that I don't think I'll run a race in February again. Like, ever.

The race was held at a park about 45 minutes from where we live, so myself and two girlfriends left at about 7:30. In 20 degree weather. Humph. The problem with short runs in the cold is how to dress. You don't want to be freezing your butt off waiting for gun time, but you don't want to be peeling clothes off and dumping them on the side of the road either. I settled on 2 layers of long sleeves, running tights, hat and gloves.

We found the park no problems, and sat in the heated car psyching ourselves up to get out. The bathroom situation was dreary. Only two toilets, so the line was long. We timed it just right though. Out of the heated bathroom (not a port o potty, yay!) and only a couple of minutes until the gun went off. The course was fun, it looped around the park for a couple of minutes, then went onto a narrow path in the woods. Looking back at my splits, this is where I lost a lot of time. The path was only two poeple wide and was really bottlenecked. The rest of the course was an out and back of rolling hills through a neighborhood. I stayed side by side with a lady who seemed to be comfortable at my exact pace. She pulled a couple of steps ahead of me on the trail, but when we rounded the corner to the finish, I kicked it up a notch and smoked her in the end.

My goal time was 42:00, official chip time 40:26.

No comments:

Post a Comment