Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Paying for my mistake in pain.

Volleyball was my first athletic love. I really adore the game and have played it since I was 11 years old. All those years left me with some sort of rotator cuff injury on the arm that I serve and hit with. I heven't played for at least 7 months. When I got the text to play on a night between two "rest" days, I jumped on it.

Huge mistake.

I can barely lift my right arm, and doing so makes me literally whine out loud. My back, butt and quads are killing me. It's interestling actually. Because I'm much more cardiovascualarly fit, I never even broke a sweat while playing... but damn! The short, quick spurts of speed and jumping used muscles that are not used to being moved in that manner anymore.

This resulted in a very tight uncomfortable 5 miles this morning. That's a mistake I won't repeat. Volleyball is not appropriate cross-training for distance running.

No comments:

Post a Comment